Sunday, February 8, 2015

Harry Potter

Like a lot of my classmates and friends, I encountered Harry Potter for the first time when I was very young. Also, just like any other kid, I of course dreamed I could live in that wonderful, magical world studying magic at an immense castle having awesome adventures. I looked up to Harry for his bravery and Hermione for her intelligence. I remember my mom got the first book soon after it had just come out because it had become so popular. I was only about four or five years old, so I barely remember it, but I know I enjoyed listening to her read them. I didn't continue reading them until years later, but I never had the solidarity to read the whole series all the way through. In fact, I have only read less than three of them. Most of my experience with the series is through the movies. The first few of them I saw as they came out. I remember in first grade for my friend's birthday party we got to attend a pre-release showing of The Chamber of Secrets, and I felt like the luckiest kid on the block. With all the people that would eventually stand in line at theaters to ensure a seat at midnight, I suppose I was pretty lucky.
A few years ago one summer I got really into the Harry Potter world again and I re-watched all of the movies, appreciating them from an older perspective. I'm glad that my interest in them sparked at that time, because I was just in time to see the final movie when it came out in theaters. I started to read the books again, but still didn't get very far. Maybe someday I will read them to my own children and get to see how Harry's story really goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment