Tuesday, January 27, 2015

My Playlist My Self

What a person puts on their playlist says a lot about them. Listening to a favorite song can take you back in time, revive memories of your life you have long forgotten. That is because our favorite music becomes so much more than just background noise. Our favorite songs become a piece of us, and sharing them with others can make friends for life. Here are a few songs that I consider a piece of myself.
Old Crow Medicine Show -- Wagon Wheel
My Chemical Romance -- Our Lady of Sorrows
Icona Pop -- I Love It
Foo Fighters -- My Hero
Tegan and Sara -- Nineteen
The Beatles -- Within You and Without You
Hallelujah -- Leonard Cohen
Hey Ya! -- Outkast

From the songs on my playlist, one might realize that my music tastes are relatively diverse. To assume that I listen to these songs very often is false, but they are nonetheless favorites of mine for their own unique reasons. For example, My Chemical Romance was the first concert I went to. They were one of my favorite bands in middle school and high school. I also have seen Tegan and Sara in concert, and as I couldn’t possibly pick a favorite song of theirs I chose the song “Nineteen” simply because I am currently nineteen years old. The song “Wagon Wheel” has a very special, spiritual connotation to me. I often get emotional when I listen to the song because of the memories I associate with it. “Within You and Without You” also strikes a chord spiritually with me. I have always loved the lyrics to the song and all of the Beatles’ music.
My favorite thing about music is the incredible ability it has to inspire emotion. A simple song can have the power to move you to tears or give you goosebumps. It can relax you or get you pumped up. A couple of the songs I chose for my playlist always put me in a good mood, and when I hear them it is hard not to sing along. Music has many purposes in my life. I have turned to music to get through some hard times. It is cathartic to listen to a song and feel that, to an extent, whoever put those feelings into music understands what you are going through. In that way and in many others, music unites people.

It is no doubt that the most fun times of my life have been accompanied by a soundtrack. Feel free to comment some of your own favorite songs and share a piece of yourself with me! (:

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lorien, turns out you and I have similar taste in music. I learned "Wagon Wheel" and "Hallelujah" on guitar. I also have a Foo Fighters and Outkast CD. I think it's great that you have a diverse playlist. It means you're an open minded person. I think you might enjoy Lana Del Rey if you like Teagan and Sara (also a great band) you should check her out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ya by Outcast was a song that i use to listened to almost everyday for while. I really enjoyed listening to it again today it has been a while since i have heard it. Unfortunately i have never heard any of the other songs on your playlist before today. While listening to them i did find a few that I enjoyed a lot. I like that you have such a diverse playlist as well. It gave me a chance to exploresome different types of music.

    ReplyDelete